Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A rubaiyat for my mother

Everyday
I inch away
From her
As quietly as I may

Not long ago
Lying low
The woman inside
Not yet a woe

The world
Still not unfurled
For one mother
And one little girl

Unspoken laws
Time and its claws
find their way in
Just because

Not knowing whether
Strangers for one another
Not knowing how to
Not know each other

A fear I cannot begin to know
to free my hand to let me go
And I thank you
For letting me borrow
Myself from you

Status-Thankfully,one does not have to relate to people in order to love them.

7 comments:

  1. love this one! esp. becoz I can so get what u mean..I think love is all the greater when it is that much more irrational..thats what my mom says..also, that must be how parents love kids, they dont get us, we irritate them, we dont listen..but they love us and that is the most unconditional love any of us will ever know, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. and altho i've done a bad job of saying what i mean, i think u'll know what i'm trying to say here..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is like two things peeling apart from one. My mother watches as I turn into a woman she has never seen and will probably never understand. She still manages to love me the same way she loved that little girl. She takes that leap of faith. She chooses to love me enough to let me go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The God of small things dedication :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I was going to mention I noticed that too..but since I know how much you admire Ms. Roy I thought that wudnt be necessary..and I read it again and find its lovelier :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey I just ran across this hilarious writeup by Arundhati Roy..

    http://www.tehelka.com/story_main16.asp?filename=hub031106Animal_farm.asp

    how is she always so good? :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your status messages are transitioning from "simply funny" to "profoundly deep"... I like it.

    ReplyDelete