Monday, October 18, 2010

Two women

I looked at myself in my new Lauren by Ralph Lauren dress in the mirror and was suddenly and most anticlimactically reminded of a news piece I read about a few weeks back. A dalit woman being paraded naked in Punjab (more states would follow or had already done so).

What she had done to deserve this is probably immaterial and to ask why too frivolous. It was enough that she was a dalit and that she was a woman.

Like me.

We are the same women. I could have been her. She could have been me.

In flashes of atavistic imagination, I saw myself stripped of that dress with numerous Rajput male eyes on me. On her behalf, I tried to experience a fraction the helplessness, insecurity and shame and found myself vaguely incapable. In dense irony, technology would come to the service of misplaced archaism, and cellphone cameras would go into overdrive.

The country we live in is a study of contradictions. People become animals, animals become Gods, Gods become people. Then people become Gods and cultivate with indulgence an obssession with heirarchy that is evident not just in religion but everywhere else. It is what makes us ignore the many convoluted, mystical, theatrical layers of hinduism and take back only the classification that can help us discriminate. Dalit womanhood spread so thin as to incorporate me and her within and still have no evidence of indigestion, no revolts, no talks of abnormality.

Of course I would keep my dress. I would like to wear it to that pind in Punjab. I would like to manifest the contradiction, and the abormality.

Status - Of all the things I feel right now, the strongest is gratitude. My father crossed several worlds on his own with no one to hold his hand. The many, many things I take for granted (like being clothed) would not have been possible were it not for his simple self-belief.

5 comments:

  1. I'd read this piece on Devadasis recently, whose plight is pretty bad as well. The worst part was that she vigorously defended the godforsaken tradition and lamented the fact that there weren't people to take it forward.

    Most Rajput/Orthodox Muslim women accept and even help perpetrate such acts because they truly believe them to be correct.

    (I hope you won't mind me commenting on the piece, given the slightly personal nature)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno what to say. Just few days ago I had similar thoughts but about a much milder aspect (or maybe not). I met this bright sort of chap about my age doing some menial job barely making a living. The only difference between him an me is 'education', more than 95% of which is never used in my IT job.

    And honestly India scares me at times, especially when listening/reading news. Love how u captured some aspect of this scariness in your wordplay.

    Your father seems to be a great man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As historian S.Guha has already explained 'India is an unnatural nation'.
    The two women and the two guys - and in a broader sense two societies - are separated only by 'opportunity'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your father is indeed a great man who broke many barriers to reach such heights as to feel emancipated. But mere economic and social mobility will not annihilate the caste system which is deep rooted in Indian psyche. The hierarchical structures is held so sacrosanct by Indian masses that crimes against Dalits especially women are committed with impunity, with a tacit religious and social support. What we as dalits need to do is to make the oppressed leave the villages and find work in the cities where the opportunities for their children are immense and rigid social structures are not imposed upon them. I have seen many dalits who have create a name for themselves in India were from cities like Mumbai. Village makes the upward mobility get stymied. I am a 25 years old IIT Bombay grad, soon will be in IIM (I have full hope in myself that I will crack CAT with high score), I would not have done this was I born and brought up in rural Maharashtra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't have put it better myself.

    ReplyDelete