Saturday, September 26, 2009

An extraordinary passage from an even more extraordinary essay

The end of imagination by Arundhati Roy.
When questioned about the only dream worth having.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength,never power. Above all,to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never,never,to forget.

............to dream that you will live while you're alive and die only when you are dead.

5 comments:

  1. :)

    Arundhati Roy has a way of using language, wearing away the extra bits till only the bare bones of the sentiment to be expressed remain. I wish she wud write more.

    Yeah..mallubongs are the way to go! :D

    And dont be worried for me, this too shall pass. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why, but this blog reminds me of Jane Austen.

    "Beta Female" of today with "A Lady" of a century old. (She wrote with "A Lady" pseudonym.)

    It's a shame she stayed unmarried. I hope u find ur Bong-mallu soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ TUIB-I am yet to develop an opinion about Roy as an activist,but as an author,she's magnificent. She is comfortable with language in a way never imagined before.

    Mallubongs are the way to go.....right..... mostly because both have a high tolerance (perhaps appreciation? obsession?) levels for large women.

    @ mgeek-You mean to say Arundhati Roy reminds you of Jane Austen? Coz I have only quoted her here.

    I did find a Bongmallu......he was (is) perfect......TADH.....major a'hole,just as required..... but I lost him :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant the blog as a whole, not this post particulary ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow.. I simply love these lines...

    ReplyDelete